New Heavy Vehicle Scrappage Scheme Launched
A new heavy vehicle scrappage scheme has been announced in an effort to clean up London’s air pollution.
The scheme will offer small businesses and charities with heavy vehicles a £15,000 grant to replace or retrofit older vehicles if it does not meet ULEZ emissions standards. Eligible small businesses with up to 50 employees and charities can apply for funds to scrap or retrofit up to three HGVs, heavy vans, buses or coaches.
Heavy vehicles play an important role in the city but they also hugely impact London’s air quality and are responsible for a significant proportion of road-based emissions. The Mayor’s scrappage scheme will help remove barriers to small businesses and charities playing their part in cleaning up London’s air, which is even more crucial to protecting public health given the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic.
Measures were due to come into play this October but due to the on going affects of the current health pandemic the scheme now sees the new standards come into force in March 2021 with non-compliant vehicles needing to be replaced or to retrofit a diesel vehicle up to the cleanest Euro VI standards to avoid daily charges of up to £300.
How do I know if I am eligible?
The scheme is open to small businesses with up to 50 employees and registered charities. The vehicle you intend to scrap must be:
• An HGV, large van or specialist vehicle over 3.5 tonnes in gross vehicle weight (GVW)
• Owned for more than 12 calendar months before the start of the scheme (28th September 2020)
• Insured for business use
• Road taxed with valid MOT
• Surrendered for secure scrapping at either Perivale or Charlton Metropolitan Police Pounds
• Fail to meet ULEZ standards
What criteria will a replacement vehicle require?
Replacement vehicles must be:
- A HGV, large van or specialist vehicle over 3.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight or a bus or coach over 5 tonnes GVW that meets the ULEZ standards (Euro VI diesel vehicles)
- Purchased or on a hire/ lease contract that is at least two years long
What criteria will organisations have to meet?
Organisations must fulfil one of the following criteria:
- Registered within the Greater London Area
- Hold a valid Operating Licence with an Operating centre within the Greater London area
- Hold a London Service Permit
However, if you don’t fulfil one of these criteria you can still apply if the vehicle you want to scrap has been driven within the Greater London Area at least 26 times between 28 March 2020 and 28 September 2020. You will need to submit evidence of these journeys such as delivery sheets or vehicle tracker data.
Future-proof your fleet. To find out if you are eligible for the grant and to find out more, visit the TFL website and apply today.